Petaling Jaya, 3 May 2023 – The ASEAN Future Sustainable Leaders Competition 2023, otherwise known as AFSL 2023, was established to provide a well-deserved spotlight to the younger generation of today. To make this possible, young leaders from universities, colleges and schools gather to have their skills tested through SDG-related cases.
With a mission to drive positive changes, participants are tested by showcasing their skills through several mediums including a five-minute video presentation, pitching and question-and-answer sessions. Headlining a positive change, the AFSL competition was also designed to engage ASEAN countries in providing experience to its students with the possibility of exchange programmes.
Intending to end poverty and protect the planet, the United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) universally gather over 163 committed countries, including Malaysia, to join the effort in safeguarding and protecting our environment. Through this initiative, there are a total of 17 accumulated SDGs to end issues such as poverty, hunger, and discrimination among many others.
The 17 highlighted SDGs include the following:
- No Poverty
- Zero Hunger
- Good Health and Well-Being
- Quality Education
- Gender Equality
- Clean Water and Sanitation
- Affordable and Clean Energy
- Decent Work and Economic Growth
- Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure
- Reduced Inequalities
- Sustainable Cities and Communities
- Responsible Consumption and Production
- Climate Action
- Life Below Water
- Life On Land
- Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions
- Partnerships for the goals
Adopted by the United Nations Member States in 2015, this initiative sees countries from all over the world uniting to achieve an aligned goal, making the world a better place for all. The 17 SDGs further ignite the need for countries to come together and improve the quality of education and health, combat inequality, and boost economic growth in one united voice.
Through our participation in the AFSL 2023 competition, UNITAR seeks to propel itself as a private tertiary institution that is committed towards positive environmental change. Significantly bringing improvements, AFSL 2023 will contribute to the university’s branding, visibility, and networking access with both lucrative and aspiring leaders in the booming industry.
As an award-winning private university, UNITAR seeks to accomplish the following objectives:
- To form a network for future regional collaborations that will continuously develop platforms to take action for the SDGs;
- To challenge and instil the spirit of competitiveness amongst participants in leading the initiative towards a sustainable and impactful change in society;
- To provide a learning experience that propels participants towards appreciating the array of different cultural and community perspectives.
Through these gathered objectives, we are driven to achieve the following outcomes collectively:
- Create better awareness of the importance of SDGs in particular sustainability and inclusivity;
- Identify SDGs-related issues and explore the possibility of resolving it;
- To acknowledge and provide networking among national and ASEAN communities on current SDG development.
At present, Malaysia comprises a total of 121 tertiary-level institutions which is made up of public and private universities, polytechnics, and university colleges. As for secondary schools, we have public and private schools making up a total of 2,603 participants in the AFSL 2023 competition. On a larger scale, the ASEAN countries accumulate over 5,976 participants from tertiary levels and 37,659 participants from secondary schools.
Through AFSL 2023, universities will stand out as leading institutions that are ready to produce prolific graduates with exceptional skills to take on the dominating digital workforce.
Recognised as an Employer’s Top Choice by Talentbank, UNITAR takes pride in producing world-class leaders with top commitment towards the SDG initiative. The AFSL 2023 competition provides us with a platform to push boundaries and create new opportunities for the leaders of tomorrow.
To find out more, please visit AFSL official site.