Why this course
The Diploma in Early Childhood Education (ECE) programme aims to provide a foundational understanding of preschool education for aspiring early childhood educators. The programme equips students with the knowledge, skills and competencies for them to work in industries that involve children at preschools, childcare and development centres, children enrichment centres as well as at play centres.
Looking for a suitable, affordable Diploma in Early Childhood Education in Malaysia? Here are great reasons why UNITAR’s ECE diploma programme is worth considering to enrol:
- Preschool Simulation Room for ECE Students
At UNITAR, we want our students to go beyond physical learning in a lecture hall or online learning. Hence, our ECE diploma students are given the opportunity to conduct lessons and activities in a simulation room to get the feel of a preschool or kindergarten teacher.
- Experienced Academicians with Relevant Industry Knowledge
Some of our lecturers come from a preschool teaching background, which students can greatly benefit from during the diploma programme. They will learn the ins and outs of preschool operations and real-world challenges.
The diploma syllabus covers different curriculum references, including KSPK and GENIUS (previously known as PERMATA). Among the subjects covered are storytelling, creative movement, puppet and role play.
- Areas of Knowledge
Here are some areas that will be covered by ECE lecturers:
- Early Childhood Education Management
The fundamentals and methodology of teaching and learning for young children.
2. Children’s Development
The vital role of adults in creating a stimulating, explorative learning environment for young learners since their birth to preschool age.
3. Children’s Activities
The conducive design of “play classrooms” with safety protocols as well as resources and teaching methods to encourage children’s creativity.
- Use Your Work Experience to Enrol at UNITAR!
Through APEL, working adults in Malaysia can take advantage of their work experience to gain admission to UNITAR International University. Additionally, there is an opportunity to reduce the study duration and costs.
If you’re applying via APEL, the entry requirements to gain admission into the Diploma of Early Childhood Education (Level 5, MQF) are as follow:
(a) being a Malaysian citizen
(b) being more than 20 years of age
(c) have relevant work experience / prior experiential learning
(d) have passed the APEL assessment
- Career Prospects
With a Diploma in Early Childhood Education, you can either teach general or specific subjects. For example, you may be keen on becoming a children’s language educator, but if you want to advance your expertise it’s best to continue your higher education with a Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood Education) (Hons). Apart from that, you can consider the role of a childcare assistant or education centre assistant for young children. Employers in this industry not only need qualified children educators but also capable administrative and management officers.
(R2/143/4/0023) 01/29 (MQA/FA 1703)
UNITAR has fostered strong industry partners and project partnerships through various collaborations to offer internship placements for our students. That way, they can graduate with confidence knowing that they have acquired prior work experience from their internships.
Get the opportunity to nurture young minds through learning and playing with our Diploma in Early Childhood Education today!
Our education counsellors are ready to help you!
Complete the form below;
it takes less than a minute.
"*" indicates required fields
Programme Entry Requirements
- Pass SPM or its equivalent, with at least three (3) credits in any subjects; OR
- Pass STPM or its equivalent, with a minimum of Grade C (CGPA 2.0) in any subject; OR
- Pass STAM with a minimum Grade Maqbul; OR
- Pass SKM Level 3 in ‘Pengasuhan Awal Kanak-kanak/Prasekolah / Early Childcare for Children/Pre-School’ subject to Senate approval and MUST attend bridging courses; OR
- Pass Certificate in Early Childhood Education or its equivalent; OR
- Pass BTEC Level 3 and pass SPM or its equivalent, with at least one (1) credit in any subjects; OR
- Any recognized Certificate or its equivalent.; OR
- Entry requirements for admission into the Diploma’s program (level 5, MQF) through APEL as approved by the Ministry of Education (MOHE). Applicants must be/have:
- A Malaysian citizen; and
- The candidate should be more than 20 years of age in the year of application
- Relevant work experience / prior experiential learning; and
- Pass the APEL Assessment
- Minimum score of 5.0 for IELTS OR
- Minimum score of 42 for TOEFL OR
- Introduction to Child Development-Program Core
- Family and Community in Early Childhood Education-Programme Core
- Curriculum for Early Childhood Education-Programme Core
- Guiding Child Behaviour-Programme Core
- Teaching and Learning Approaches in Early Childhood Programme-Program Core
- Health and Nutrition for Young Children-Programme Core
- Approaches in Teaching Arts and Creativity for Young Children-Programme Core
- Approaches in Teaching Science and Mathematics for Young Children-Programme Core
- Movement and Physical Intelligence for Young Children-Programme Core
- Safety and Environmental Management for Young Children-Programme Core
- Teaching English for Young Children-Programme Core
- Creative Learning Through Play-Programme Core
- Approaches in Teaching Affective Development for Young Children-Programme Core
- Pendekatan Pengajaran Bahasa Melayu untuk Kanak-Kanak-Programme Core
- Approaches in Teaching Music for Young Children-Programme Core
- Planning and administering in Early Childhood Programme-Programme Core
- Assessment in Early Childhood Education-Programme Core
- Entrepreneurship in Early Childhood Programme-Programme Core
- Micro Teaching-Programme Core
- Practicum-Programme Core
- Critical Thinking-Programme Core
- Community Service -Programme Core
University Core Modules
- English 1
- English 2
- English 3
- Critical Thinking
- Basic Mandarin / Arabic
- Penghayatan Etika dan Peradaban / Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi 1(Int)
- Skills Enhancement
- Culture and Society
- Community Service
Areas of Study
- Early Childhood Education Management
- Children’s Development
- Children’s Activities
- Child Care Assistant
- Children’s Art Educator
- Children’s Language Educator
- Education Centre Assistant
Programme Learning Outcome
The Programme Learning Outcomes (PLO) of this programme is to prepare graduates who are able to:
- Understands the principles and methods of teaching and learning for children.
- Learn the role of adults in creating a stimulating environment from birth to the age of preschool.
- Designing of play classrooms with a safety protocol, including resources and teaching methods for child’s creativity development.
- Manage effective strategies involving the environment and adult child interaction in a childcare setting
- Get Entrepreneurship requirements for laws and regulations as well as marketing and finances to effectively manage a business.